There had been questions over the absence of the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu from debates ahead of the 2023 general elections.
Speculations have it that Tinubu has been absent from the debates due to his health but the former Governor of Lagos State has, however, dispelled the insinuations.
The leadership of APC in its reaction to the issue said it would decide whether Tinubu will participate in debates for the forthcoming presidential election.
The Nigeria Election Debate Group (NEDG), Nigeria Economic Summit Group (NESG), Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) and other partners on Tuesday announced that they already outlined debates for the presidential candidates and their running mates.
The Executive Secretary of the group, Eddie Emessiri disclosed that the debate will be divided into four sessions beginning in Abuja on November 15.
The second leg of the debate will be held in Port Harcourt on the 15th of December, while the third leg will be held in Lagos on the 19 of January.
The final stage is billed for Kano in February 2023.
Emessiri noted that three out of the four sessions will focus on presidential candidates, while the other will be targeted towards the vice presidential candidates.
The theme of the first debate in Abuja will hinge on the economy while the exercise slated for Lagos would be on foreign policy, education and security.
The spokesperson of the Tinubu-Shettima Presidential Campaign Council, Festus Keyamo in a chat with Daily Independent disclosed that the decision for Tinubu to participate in the debate will be taken at the higher level of the party.
Keyamo said, “On the issue of debate, that decision is not going to be taken by me alone. I can’t stay here and give a commitment. It will be some decision taken at the higher level.”