The presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, has promised to apologise to Nigerians for the wrongdoings done to them by successive governments.
Naija News reports that the former Governor of Anambra State made this known during an appearance on Arise News on Monday.
Obi was reacting to a statement credited to his running mate, Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, who had said that it is debatable to describe the October 2020 Lekki shooting as a massacre.
The former governor stated that he would apologise to the people of the Niger Delta for the pollution of their region which was caused by oil spillage and oil exploration.
He also promised to apologise to Nigerians who were killed during the protest at the Lekki Tollgate on October 20, 2022, and other victims of police brutality.
The LP Presidential candidate recalled how he apologised to missionaries when he returned schools taken by past governments back to them when he was the governor of Anambra State.
Lekki shooting: Use Of Massacre Highly Debatable – Datti Baba-Ahmed
Speaking during an interview on Channels Television last week Thursday, Baba-Ahmed said there was an abuse of human rights and procedures during the Lekki shooting.
He had said: “There was an abuse of human rights, procedures and if some people interpret it as massacre, then yes. However, the massacre has different technical meanings. I can’t say I know all of it.
“First of all, no advance notice was given before the attack. The victims must have been attacked in their own areas.
“These are well-meaning Nigerians who brought themselves out in the public area and were attacked by security forces who are meant to be protecting their lives and properties.
“The use of ‘massacre’ is highly debatable, but I can say for sure that there were abuses of procedures and civil rights violations.”